U-13 Roinn C County Football Final Report by Brian O’ Callaghan (6th class)

Under 13 Roinn C County Football Final 2013


It was 12th November. The sun was shining and the nerves were high. Moycarkey and Ballylooby were in their dressing rooms getting ready for the Roinn C County Football Final 2013. Both teams were pumped up and ready. The ball was thrown in at 1.30pm and straight away Moycarkey knew Ballylooby meant business with a strong start. Although Ballylooby started the stronger it was Moycarkey that got the first goal after some good possession was finished with a goal from David Doyle. Moycarkey were tight on Ballylooby kickouts and quickly added two more goals from John Coffey and Kyle Shelly. Moycarkey were well on top now and after hitting the cross bar added two points. Ballylooby heads did not drop however and put together some great overlapping plays thanks to tremendous team work and hand passing around midfield. Moycarkey backs held their own however and relied on some great blocks  and tackles from half backs Dylan Dee and Dean O’ Brien. It was from one of these blocks that Moycarkey regained possession and the resulting attacked ended with a penalty being awarded when Kyle Shelly was taken down. The young boy from 5th class kept calm and placed it coolly in the left corner of the net. Moycarkey began to relax a bit and Ballylooby struck with a goal and a point in quick succession. Just as Ballylooby were beginning to gain some momentum Joe Maher was fouled and some quick thinking from Kyle Shelly resulted in a cheeky goal for the boys in red and yellow. The half time whistle blew and the scoreboard read Moycarkey 5-2 Ballylooby 1-1

The ball was thrown in for the second half and Ballylooby got an early feel for the ball. They turned their possession into an exquisite point. The Moycarkey team knew they were in for a battle in the second half and it took great skill from Conor Dunne on kickouts to keep possession from the re energised Ballylooby boys. Ballylooby got on top and showed why they were in the final with some very skilful play that resulted in the second score of the half.  Ballylooby meant business and eventually broke down the resilient Moycarkey defence and scored their second goal of the day. With ten minutes left the game was up for grabs and both teams were going for it. Ballylooby were on top but were forced to take their points instead of goals thanks to solid defensive work from Emma Shelly, Kieran Carew and Ben Ely. As time ran out Moycarkey got their only score of the half with a free from Kyle Shelly and with that point the final whistle blew and Moycarkey were ecstatic. Brian O’ Callaghan lifted the shield and Moycarkey were declared the victors after a hard fought and  very competitive final.

Final score Moycarkey N.S. 5-3 Ballylooby 3-4

by Brian O’ Callaghan, 6th class