Information Reports from 3rd and 4th Class

Great writing has been taking place in Ms McCullagh’s room over the past 2 months. Here are two examples of the children’s super work!

Amelia Earhart


Aoibheann Fogarty (3rd Class)

Amelia Earhart was born on July 24th, 1897 in Atchisan, Kansas, America.

Amelia Earhart spent her early childhood seeking out adventures, exploring the neighbourhood, climbing trees, hunting for rats and taking breathtaking rides on her sled. Amelia attended many different schools. She showed early aptitude in school for science and sports though it was difficult to do well academically and make friends. In 1915, Amelia and her sister Grace moved to Chicago to live with friends. While there, Amelia attended Hyde park High School where she excelled in chemistry.

On December 28th, 1920, Earhart and her father visited an airfield where Frank Hawks gave her a ride that would change her life forever. After that ten minute flight that cost her father 10 dollars, she immediately became determined to learn to fly. Six months later, Earhart purchased a second hand, bright yellow Kinner Airster biplane which she nicknamed “The Canary”. On May 15th, 1923, Earhart became the first woman to be issued a pilot’s license.

On January 11th, 1935, Earhart became the first person to fly solo from Honolula, Hawaii to Oakland, California. Between 1930 and 1935, Earhart had set seen women’s speed and distance aviation records in a variety of aircraft including the Kinner Airster, Lockend Vega and Pitcrian Autogrio.

On the 2nd July, 1937, she mysteriously disappeared while trying to circumnavigate the globe from equator. Since then, several theories have formed regarding Earhart’s last days, many of which have been connected to various artefacts that have been found on the Pacific Islands, including clothing, shoes and more recently, freckle cream. Earhart was legally declared dead in 1939.

Amelia was a very fascinating person and I would of loved to have met her.




Evie Ryan (4th Class)

The Titanic was the largest ship in the world.

Early in the last century, the Titanic was considered the greatest ship ever seen. When the ship set off on the very first trip, people looked on in awe. Everything on the Titanic was the best quality. The furniture, food and comfort were second to none. People on board the beautiful ocean liner felt lucky. They were excited to be sailing on the best ship in the world.

All that would change on a cold April night in 1912. On that night, the Titanic struck a huge iceberg in the freezing waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Water poured in through the large gash made at the side of the ship. The crew sent out a signal called CQD. It is not known what the letters CQD meant exactly but some say they meant, Come Quickly, Danger. The crew also sent a SOS message for help. The Titanic was the first ship to send a radio SOS message.

The Titanic sank on the 15th of April, 1912 in less than three hours. As the ship was supposed to be unsinkable, there were not enough life boats and life jackets for everyone. Other ships got the CQD and SOS messages. They rushed to help but could not get there quick enough. When they arrived, there were only 706 people alive in the lifeboats. A total of  1,517 people had died. The Titanic still lies at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The Titanic is slowly rotting away. People will long remember the terrible night when so many lives were lost.

It happened centuries ago but people still think of the tragedy.